Norovirus and Policy Changes

As reports continue to come in, it appears that somewhere between a quarter and a third of our players and staff at this last event were afflicted by a virulent norovirus. We don’t know (and will never know) the exact vector by which this disease came into our community, but we know one thing very clearly: we, as the staff running this game and settings its policies, failed you.

You have a right to expect to be safe at our events, and we clearly did not meet that expectation.

To everyone in the community: you have my deepest apologies that this has happened. We will strive to be better.

To that end, we will be meeting over the summer for a more detailed analysis, but I am immediately implementing the following policies:

• Masks are required in the kitchen at all times, and will be forever. That includes passing through or just stepping inside for a moment.
  • If you are touching food or involved in preparing or serving food, you must wear gloves while doing so. If those gloves touch uncooked meat (such as chicken), you must change them before touching food again.
  • If you have been sick within the 7 days preceding an event, you will not be allowed to volunteer in the kitchen during the event. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can find a replacement.
  • We are immediately changing our general sick cancellation policy to match our Covid one - that is, you may contact us at any time, up to the start of the event, and inform us that you cannot make it because you are sick or suspect you’re still contagious. You will receive a full refund. You will receive your BGS. You will get a lesson. We will make it as easy as possible for you to choose to stay home if you are feeling unwell.

If you have any questions about these new policies, please let me know.

Brian Misamore
Game Director, Port Katherine

23 Likes

Are we also going to be disinfecting high touch surfaces throughout the weekend as well? I think that really would’ve helped us

6 Likes

My personal plan is to disenfect drink cooler and tavern door handles and replace peanutbutter/jelly knives on the snack rotation every 2 hours.

7 Likes

Those are all very doable. Should we add a page to the snack instructions that includes a sign off so we know when they were last wiped? That way you aren’t tied to being there and we know it all got done. We can also add it as a step to each meal prep because there will be a lot of hands looking for drinks.

5 Likes

Definitely have a sheet so that anyone who goes in knows when it needs to be done next so Jess isn’t tied to the tavern.

2 Likes

Amazing! I think that would help for sure

1 Like